Sunday, August 26, 2012

Ramblings

Well fall is almost here and I'm sitting here waiting for it. Cooler weather is so what I need. we had really nice weather and then BAM it was gone. I'm not complaining but I'm a fall winter person. As most of my kids are too. We have been field tripping alot these last few weeks. Kids learning like never before. My little Laurabeth is almost walking.SCARY! I have many wild Indians in this house and having a baby Indian on that floor is never a good idea. My days are now full of " Oh my goodness, Watch out!, grab her, Laurabeth NO!" Yes my Cindy Crawford Meaningful beauty is getting a run for its money here. Laura is either fighting of big sister Jolene who thinks she is a rag doll or the wild Indians are running past her so fast she wipes out. The best spot for her to be is latched on to the jugs so know one can hurt her or bump her. Jolene is like a dozen bulls wrapped into a child's body. She is wild and full of adventure. She reminds me of Cody when he was little.
 Our life in the homeschool world has changed yet again. This time it is where it was before only difference is I am totally cool with it. we have learned text books are my kids worst enemies. I pulled them out they hid. I yelled, and sure enough they yelled back. I said sit they said see ya. See the pattern there. We hated it. So I did what every crazy child loving mom would do. I got rid of all the text books. I know I know you are saying what did she do. Her kids will never learn those hippies. I bought My Fathers World curriculum which is a CM method. No real texts books. As we are plugging away at that we just weren't happy to sit and school and make sure this was done and that. They just weren't excited about learning. Another we homeschool is that out kids have a passion to learn. Not the sit here for X amount of time and write X paper for a grade that just tells your brain isn't working. Now I have always been the type of person that goes down the path no one really does. I like adventure and I LOVE to get out and explore the world. Always have. I'm not sure if its because I hit 30 in July and I grew my bog girl panties or what. Maybe it was when I started this homeschool journey many years ago, even knowing how I wanted it to go and what I liked, I fell in the homeschool trap. The trap that no matter what you do you will be judged. Well that scared me I guess. Thinking that now my kids future is in my hands and I'm surely going to screw them up if I don't use use curriculum or go here or start our morning with this. I was scared that I wouldn't be that homeschool mom I seen at the group or the homeschool mom who is crammed down my throat. 6 years into it and I finally can say PROUDLY that I'm not that homeschool mom. I'm just a wife, mother, sister and daughter. I'm the one who rebels against the normal and does things on my own terms. I like we unschool. I thrive my kids thrive my husband laughs and likes the wife he married. Theres reasons for the seasons in life we have. Nothing here really has changed. We do things the way we want. No planner, no text books, no time. For the first time in EVER my 11 year old went to the library and pulled he liked and didn't complain ONE TIME! That was huge for him. He pulled books on fossils, rocks, survival guides, insects. All things he loves and learns on his own. Theres no pressure from me or dad to read it. He just does. Hannah has always been a learner and lover of books so when this child goes to the library she brings back the library! Like I said no pressure to learn. Its just what kids do when they are happy and can pick what they like and learn from it. The world is huge and we plan to use it. Unschooling isn't right for everyone. maybe just a few of us really. Its we like and its how we learn and grow.
 As I'm writing this its FINALLY raining! Hannah and Cody are at the picnic with my mom for her work and it happens to rain on that day! hahaha. Boy do we need the rain. The farmers out here are already cutting their corn because its a loss. The only thing growing in the weeds.








 We have some really neat field trips coming up. Friday we are apple pickin and then the Friday after that we are going to Pioneer Boones farm thingy. They will learn some pioneer skills. The Nature Reserve is having their Prairie Day On the 15th and they do that every other year and we never miss it. Its always tons of fun. This year I think we will dress the part. Our own halfpint will have to get a dress.Well I better get off here the littles are attacking the craft room with full force! Blessings.

No comments:

Listen to ownbymomof6s Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones